This month, we talk to Tyrone Paterson, Manitoba Opera’s Music Advisor and Principal Conductor, who conducted both Rigoletto and Aida this season and will be conducting Don Pasquale in November. Mr. Paterson is one of Canada’s major opera conductors and has also led performances throughout Europe, the US, and Asia.
1. Who was your favourite pop star growing up? Olivia Newton John.
2. What is your favourite children’s book?
Love You Forever by Robert Munsch.
3. What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Bacon, eggs, fresh gnocchi, an oversized bottle of Innis and Gunn beer, Greek yogurt.
4. If you could be a superhero, what would you want your super powers to be?
Definitely to fly. I don’t fit on planes!
5. Which celebrity would you like to have dinner with?
Tony Bennett. He’s amazing.
6. What is the oldest item that you own?
My wedding shoes. 24 years old and I still wear them in the pit, although Aida may have done them in. Maybe I’ll buy a new pair for my 25th anniversary!
7. What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done? Conduct Salome! It was a fabulous experience.
8. What movie would you take with you to a desert island? Gran Torino. “Get off my lawn!”
9. What advice would you give to your younger self? Believe in yourself.
10. What is your favourite song to sing on karaoke night? I’ve never done it!!!! I hope to never have the pleasure!
11. What would be on the menu of your last meal?
Lasagna and caesar salad.
12. What’s the name of the last book that you recommended to someone? 419 by Will Ferguson.
13. What is your most prized possession?
Nothing. It’s just stuff.
14. Describe your perfect day.
Walk the beach with my wife during the day, spend time with our son, and conduct an opera at night.